[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 18:14:51 UTC 2019

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 10:46 AM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/17/19, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Interestingly, I'd forgotten that Robert Kulagowski from
> >> schedulesdirect posted earlier in this thread, that some software does
> >> exactly what I'm referring to. That is, assuming a station is in fact
> >> the same station purely based on ATSC major and minor number...and not
> >> based on frequency.
> >
> > [I work for Schedules Direct]
> >
> > MythTV users are the vast majority of the tickets that I receive when
> > there's been a re-pack.
> >
> > Again, it's a pretty big deal for a station that has _always_ been
> > known as "ABC 7" to start having to say, "We're ABC 7 now, but in a
> > year we'll be ABC 44, and then if the FCC auctions spectrum again, we
> > might be ABC 6. Or ABC 2. Or ABC 17". That's the beauty of the PSIP
> > virtual channel number; it stays the same, even if everything
> > underneath has changed.
> >
> > The ATSC major.minor (at least in North America) should probably be
> > considered an almost static value; if the database entry for PSIP
> > "7.1" exists, but the program and frequency has changed since the last
> > scan, then the least disruptive would be to just update the program
> > and frequency and just keep on trucking.
> >
> > Anyway, no other application generates tickets like MythTV does when
> > there's been a frequency / program change, but _not_ a PSIP change.
>
> Interesting. Another thing I've noticed...anyone can correct me if I'm
> wrong, as I've asked about this before and never really got an
> answer...is that the option that mythtv-setup used to have to change
> the default underscore delimiter to a dot...that is 7.1 rather than
> 7_1...no longer exists. At least the last two times I rescanned I sure
> couldn't find it. All of my channels currently use dots and I had to
> change those myself.
>
> Tom

On Schedules Direct all the stations show like this 7-1. On Myth most show
up as 7_1. On the other hand, Myth shows some this way 28-10 with a dash.
Interestingly, on SD, 28-10 is disabled but I still get program listings
for it in Myth where it is not disabled. Not a problem but interesting. SD
does show both 7-1 stations in their listing. I have one disabled and I
deleted it or overwrote in Myth.

Allen