[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 17:46:42 UTC 2019

On 8/17/19, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Interestingly, I'd forgotten that Robert Kulagowski from
>> schedulesdirect posted earlier in this thread, that some software does
>> exactly what I'm referring to. That is, assuming a station is in fact
>> the same station purely based on ATSC major and minor number...and not
>> based on frequency.
>
> [I work for Schedules Direct]
>
> MythTV users are the vast majority of the tickets that I receive when
> there's been a re-pack.
>
> Again, it's a pretty big deal for a station that has _always_ been
> known as "ABC 7" to start having to say, "We're ABC 7 now, but in a
> year we'll be ABC 44, and then if the FCC auctions spectrum again, we
> might be ABC 6. Or ABC 2. Or ABC 17". That's the beauty of the PSIP
> virtual channel number; it stays the same, even if everything
> underneath has changed.
>
> The ATSC major.minor (at least in North America) should probably be
> considered an almost static value; if the database entry for PSIP
> "7.1" exists, but the program and frequency has changed since the last
> scan, then the least disruptive would be to just update the program
> and frequency and just keep on trucking.
>
> Anyway, no other application generates tickets like MythTV does when
> there's been a frequency / program change, but _not_ a PSIP change.

Interesting. Another thing I've noticed...anyone can correct me if I'm
wrong, as I've asked about this before and never really got an
answer...is that the option that mythtv-setup used to have to change
the default underscore delimiter to a dot...that is 7.1 rather than
7_1...no longer exists. At least the last two times I rescanned I sure
couldn't find it. All of my channels currently use dots and I had to
change those myself.

Tom