[mythtv-users] USA OTA FCC frequency rescan?

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 16:24:16 UTC 2019

> Because the channels are moving to lower frequencies, some from UHF to VHF, you
> may need to review your antenna situation. It's possible that your antenna may
> not pick up the new frequencies as well as the old ones.

Not that I'm an expert by any means but would like to include a bit from
my experience.  Many of the 'digital antennae' being sold currently are
UHF only and so have difficulties receiving VHF frequencies.  I found a
'splitter/combiner' was not the right device for the purpose of
combining the signals from two antenna, specifically an old VHF 'rabbit
ear' and then-current digital/UHF antenna.  Instead needed a 'diplexer'
which inserts only the VHF signals from the VHF antenna and the UHF
signals from the UHF antenna.  (I have the UVSJ from
www.HollandElectronics.com.)  With the combiner I was getting ghosting,
etc.; the diplexer solved that.

Side Notes:

Be aware the 'common name' announced channel isn't necessarily the
frequency.  Here "Channel 4" is really on RF 4 (so VHF) but "Channel 6"
and "Channel 8" are really UHF stations at RF 36 and 38, respectively
(just happens they 'added 30').  I found it was easiest to check
Wikipedia for the digital vs. virtual information.

When using 'rabbit ears' for RF 2-6 extend fully; for RF 7-13 extend 12-18".