[mythtv-users] BE Errors

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 27 02:57:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:01:01 -0500, you wrote:

>On 4/26/19 4:09 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>> The backend starts automatically on my system, then I generated the log
>> with "mythbackend -v all" . Could that have started the second instance?
>> Or could the second command "mythbackend -v all | pastebinit" while the
>> first terminal was still open have caused it? (usually its something I've
>> just done that causes me the most grief)
>
>The 1st command above caused the second startup and isn't required to
>generate the log. Type this:
>
>   systemctl cat mythtv-backend
>
>and you'll see the logging options used at boot time (or when restarted.)
>P.S., -v all is rarely a good choice for logging. It generates too much
>noise.

In fact, -v all is able to generate so much logging that it slows down
mythbackend.  It really should only be used for a short time to track
down a specific problem, and you have to remember that because it
slows things down, if you have a bug that is caused by a timing
problem, it may go away with that much logging happening.

If you want to increase the logging while mythbackend is running, it
has special options for that.  If you run "mythbackend --setloglevel"
or "mythbackend --setverbose", what it does is the new copy of
mythbackend run by that command connects to the normal background copy
of mythbackend that was run by systemd and tells it to set the new
logging option.  Then the mythbackend copy that you ran from the
command line shuts itself down.  But if you use the wrong options,
such as running "mythbackend -v all" from the command line, what you
are doing is running a second copy of mythbackend which will run in
parallel with the existing copy run by systemd.  That is not good.

So if your normal log setting is "-v record" (which is what I use),
then if you want to use "-v all" for a while to find a problem, you
would do:

mythbackend --setverbose all

and then when you no longer need all that logging, you would revert
the logging to the original settings:

mythbackend --setverbose noall,record