[mythtv-users] HDHomerun locking and pooling in version 30.0?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:54:08 UTC 2019

I noticed in the database schema updates going from 29.1 to 30.0 that
the videodevice column of all HDHOMERUN type entries in the
capturecard table get renamed to remove the tuner number (-0, -1,
etc). That is for example, tuners with videodevices of 104FFFFF-0 and
104FFFFF-1 would both end up with just the id of the HDHR unit itself,
for example 104FFFF.

I discovered that this was all related to this change...I was little
surprised there  was nothing mentioned about that in the release notes
(unless it's there and I'm blind):

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13339

I understand conceptually what that describes, but I'm curious as to
how/if it affects scheduling specifically. For example, currently,
when I look at upcoming recordings, they're assigned to specific
capturecard ids. Has that somehow changed? Obviously if tuner locking
and any sort of tuner availability check is being done in real time
when recording starts, something must obviously be different. Are they
still assigned in that manner, but with the capability of changing on
the fly as needed? Mostly just a curiosity on my part, but I'd like to
have an idea as to what's going on there.

As far as adding any new HDHR units going forward, I understand that
you would still need to add the proper number of capturecard entries,
presumable for example two with the same HDHR id in cases where I
would have previously added one with <id>-0 and one with <id>-1.

In 29.1 in order to get sequentially id'ed entries in capturecard for
multi-rec virtual tuners, I had to do the following:

1. Add one capture card entry,
2. Add it's input connection specifying a Max Records of 2,
3. Repeat the same process for each tuner on each HRHD unit.

I don't think that used to be the case because (I think) in 0.28 the
max recordings defaulted to 2. I was also curious as to whether 30.0
is the same as 29.1 in this respect.

Thanks!
Tom