[mythtv-users] impending failure

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:11:12 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 3:06 PM Curtis Gedak <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:

> GParted copies partitions and the data within.  It does not copy boot
> records from unallocated space, or the initial boot code contained
> within the partition table.
>
> All that should be needed is to restore the GRUB boot_loader.  You can
> do this by booting from media containing the distro you are running
> (Mythbuntu?) and then running the appropriate commands to restore the
> ability to boot.
>
> See GParted - Fixing Operating System Boot Problems
>
> https://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual#gparted-fix-operating-system-boot-problems
>
> 'Hope that helps.
>
> Curtis
>
> On 2018-10-23 2:39 p.m., Daryl McDonald wrote:
> > Greetings mythizens, I got a message that a storage drive was about to
> > fail. I just received the replacement, used gparted to copy and paste
> from
> > the failing drive to the new one, and the box won't boot? I thought that
> > gparted cloned everything including UUID and Labels. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the say to go but if you need to start over, you might look at
Clonezilla.  I just did a disk and it did the boot and expanded the drive
proportionally all in one run.  I am about to use it again on another
system.  It takes a long time, hours, so if you can just make your disk
bootable, that is the way to go.

Allen