[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 18 15:30:42 UTC 2018

On 10/17/2018 6:24 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> Jay,
>
> Does it take a i7-4770 CPU to run Myth these days?  Do you use it for
> anything else or just went to that power point just for Myth. I was
> thinking of an i3-8100 but I have very limited knowledge of the
> differences or how important they are.  I mean, what led you to pick
> that CPU.  I would hate to buy something that was underpowered and
> regret it. But not happy about the extra money and power if it doesn't
> provide a benefit.
>
> I see 14% CPU usage with my AMD-5400 when I am recording a show and am
> wondering why I would need more CPU power to run Myth. I wish I knew
> what the limitation/ problem was.
>
> Allen

<SNIP>
My original system (with 0.21) had a core2 duo in it, and without VDPAU,
was barely able to render BD (H.264) videos in software.  So, when I
upgraded, I chose a CPU that would handle whatever I might throw at it.
I do also use Firefox and Thunderbird on this machine.  This is also a
combined frontend/backend, so it is more about the frontend requirements
than the backend.  The system (and mythtv DB) drive is the smallest I
could find (~500GB), since it does not have much on it.  I also have a
disk (4TB) dedicated to recordings and another disk (8TB) dedicated to
videos (archived recordings, etc.).
Jay