[mythtv-users] Video card update fail

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 8 02:45:55 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 19:14:10 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The interference was with my case, not the video card. Plus, the card was
>>> a gift from a friend. I just used a grinder and took off the side of the
>>> connector and it fit fine :-)

>>>  I have to think if I restarted more or less than 100 times.  Clearly the
>>> video needs a restart.
>>>

>> :)  Make sure to run alsamixer and make sure it is unmuted on the PCM
>> interface.
>>

>We did that several times.  For some reason they kept getting muted on
>power up.  I think the pulse audio control panel was more important and
>once that was set I believe the alsamixer stayed muted but still no sound
>except through the HDMI cable.
>
>The sound doesn't much matter if the TV doesn't have Myth on it when it
>powers up.  The way it was when I quit, I needed to reboot the computer
>every time I turned the TV on.  That is, obviously, totally unacceptable.

There is likely no need to reboot to get X to sort out the displays.
The worst you should need to do is to restart X.  In Ubuntu, you do
that by restarting the display manager.  I am running Mythbuntu
(Xubuntu), using the lightdm display manager, so for me the command to
restart X is:

sudo systemctl restart lightdm

You should be able to use an ssh connection to do that command if none
of your displays are working.