[mythtv-users] Video card update fail

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 02:14:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 4:47 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You should have immediately returned the card if HDMI did not fit.
>>>

>> The interference was with my case, not the video card. Plus, the card was
>> a gift from a friend. I just used a grinder and took off the side of the
>> connector and it fit fine :-)

>>> What does the speaker test produce in alsa and/or gnome/kde, etc..  I
>>> believe long ago, Jean Yvess (sp?) killed pulse when mythfrontend started
>>> playback, but I do not know if that is still the case.  You definitely do
>>> not want anything except alsa for digital audio.
>>>
>>> Also, when selecting the different modes from the TV GUI, I always had
>>> to restart mythfrontend (that was long ago though - YMMV).
>>>

>>  I have to think if I restarted more or less than 100 times.  Clearly the
>> video needs a restart.
>>

> :)  Make sure to run alsamixer and make sure it is unmuted on the PCM
> interface.

We did that several times.  For some reason they kept getting muted on
power up.  I think the pulse audio control panel was more important and
once that was set I believe the alsamixer stayed muted but still no sound
except through the HDMI cable.

The sound doesn't much matter if the TV doesn't have Myth on it when it
powers up.  The way it was when I quit, I needed to reboot the computer
every time I turned the TV on.  That is, obviously, totally unacceptable.