[mythtv-users] quite remote

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 15:44:17 UTC 2018

Unfortunately, using a remote frontend from a different location without sufficient bandwidth is not going to work.  Our recordings are big files and streaming them over typical internet connections outside the home is impossible.

However, there is a way:  Plex.  Provided your backend has enough “horsepower,” you can install Plex server on that backend and it can transcode on the fly and send it to the Plex app on a device at the remote site.

I have done this with my system, which is an older Xeon processor and my mom has ~8Mbps DSL and a Roku at her home.  She can watch episodes of Jeopardy which I record for her in the event she is away from home during the normal scheduled program.  I only have 15Mbps upstream bandwidth, and the entire thing works flawlessly… and it cost me zero.

Hope this helps…

Mike