[mythtv-users] quite remote

Ian Cameron mkbloke at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 12:32:13 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 12:59, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to watch my recordings from my son's home, when we're
> grandbaby sitting? Anything about remote FE's seems to be on the same LAN.
> He has Kodi on firestick, is that a possibility? Are there any links or
> wiki's I could use?

In the simplest terms, it would be a case of making the back end and
database available over the Internet.  In most domestic settings that would
mean enabling port forwarding on your broadband router to forward the
relevant ports to the internal private IP(s) of your database/back end
machine(s).

In practice, I would think about using a VPN like OpenVPN though and
instead forward the OpenVPN ingress port on your broadband router for
better security.  You would then just need to make sure that the
database/back end are listening on the tun0 interface (assuming the VPN
server/database/back end are all hosted on the same box) or that the VPN
client has IP route(s) to the internal address(es) of the database/back end
server(s).

Ian