[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv from V.28 to 29 or later while staying on 16.04

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 06:28:09 UTC 2018

On 22/11/2018 03:44, George Bingham wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This may be a dumb question, but is it as simple as adding the PPA for
> v29 and telling apt to update (or upgrade?) mythtv backend and frontend?
>
> I can't upgrade to 18.04 due to an ancient video card that requires
> the 304 driver. But I recently heard that a memory leak has been fixed
> in MythTV 29. I have an older server with 4 Gigs of ram that needs to
> be rebooted every few days due to memory issues.
>
> Sorry if this has been covered on this list, but I watch it pretty
> closely and just don't remember if this specific question has been
> asked. I only know I shouldn't bother upgrading to 18.04 due to my
> reliance on the nvidia 304 driver from this list, and I heard about
> the memory leak fix from this list too.
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> -- George

Yes, it is that simple, but use dist-upgrade, needed when going from one
mythtv version to the next::

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29

sudo apt update

sudo apt dist-upgrade

4 Gigs of ram is fine.

If you are using external xmltv data (e.g. Schedules Direct) with
mythfilldatabase, set it to use  the --no-allatonce argument in
mythtv-setup.

Current implementation of mythfilldatabase can use lots of memory
depending on how many channels you have.

--no-allatonce reduces this dramatically, by grabbing in multiples of 1
day instead of all at once (default for some grabbers).

Mike