[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 22 03:04:49 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 12:26:41 -0500, you wrote:

>With the upcoming EOL status of Ubuntu 14.04, I'm considering upgrading
>my MythBuntu box to 16.04.  I had seen a recent thread about caveats of
>upgrading to 18.04 and it was a bit too long for my liking so I'll
>probably wait until the dust settles there a bit before attempting that.

The dust seems to be pretty settled now - I have 18.04 working well.
But 18.04 does need a few more fixes for the bugs that I found - the
workarounds I listed are still needed as far as I know.  Ubuntu 18.10
has had some of the necessary fixes, but I have not tried it myself -
I normally stick with LTS releases.

>Anyway, I have an up-to-date 14.04 box with MythTV 0.28 fixes.  The OS
>itself is a bit customized over the years that I've had it, so I'd
>prefer to go the clean-install and DB-restore route.

If you are going to do a clean install, and you do not have a video
card that needs the Nvidia 304 drivers, then I would recommend going
to 18.04 LTS with MythTV v29.  It is a little bit more work to add the
necessary fixes, but it will be supported for a lot longer than 16.04.
If you have an SSD for the system, 18.04 is rather better due to the
systemd changes to allow for more parallel activity.