[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 22 02:57:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:04:49 -0800, you wrote:

>HowTo Mythbuntu 16.04
>
>Have at least 4GB Memory.  I upgraded to 6GB.  System did not work well
>with 2GB

4 Gibytes is sufficient again now.  There was a longstanding MythTV
bug that was causing excessive RAM use and causing swapper use that
has recently been fixed.  2 Gibytes is too little for plain 16.04 to
feel comfortable in, let alone when using MythTV on top of that.  You
may need to be using v29+fixes to get the necessary bug fix.  I
believe the bug is in 0.28, but I do not know if it has been fixed in
0.28+fixes.

[snip]
>edited rc.local
>
>*#!/bin/sh -e*
>*echo -n 15  > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold*
>*hdhomerun_config 10137DC1 set /ir/target "192.168.1.111:5000
><http://192.168.1.111:5000> no_clear"*
>*#this is a hack.  I dont' know what is starting lircd*
>*killall lircd*
>*lircd -H udp -d 5000*
>*exit 0*

The lircd hack above is probably necessary because lirc needs to be
able to use a networked remote from the HDHR device.  In 16.04, lirc
is started from /etc/init.d/lirc, so you can alter that to have it
started after the networking is up.  But that is not a simple job, so
the above hack may be a good way of doing it.