[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:55:23 UTC 2018

On 21/11/2018 18:26, Will Dormann wrote:
> With the upcoming EOL status of Ubuntu 14.04, I'm considering upgrading
> my MythBuntu box to 16.04.  I had seen a recent thread about caveats of
> upgrading to 18.04 and it was a bit too long for my liking so I'll
> probably wait until the dust settles there a bit before attempting that.
>
> Anyway, I have an up-to-date 14.04 box with MythTV 0.28 fixes.  The OS
> itself is a bit customized over the years that I've had it, so I'd
> prefer to go the clean-install and DB-restore route.
>
> For anybody who has gone from 14.04 to 16.04 recently (or remembers that
> it took), is there a list of gotchas or other things that may not go as
> expected?   Perhaps obviously, I'll be starting with creating a full OS
> backup, and I'll plan to stick with 0.28 until I'm comfortable that
> 16.04 is working well.

I have done this a few months ago and it was quite painless. Even IR
blasting still works properly.

The only issue I still have to this day is linked to the use of systemd:
I have not been successful at getting systemd to wait for the tuners
before starting the backend. I managed it on my slave backend (which has
the same type of tuners as the ones connected to the master backend),
but the master's mythtv-backend.service starts without waiting for the
tuners despite the near-identical configuration with the slave.