[mythtv-users] recording from external recording sending XOFF and never sending XON

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:21:58 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> I'm trying to record from an external recorder on v29.1-11-gbd764db

> So why would the backend pause the recorder without ever resuming it?

Does your external recorder properly handle multiple concurrent
streams (i.e. a single recorder instance, but multiple "channels" at
the same time?).  I know my external recorder did not (single stream
at a time only per forked external recorder), so I added an "artifact"
to the command invokation (--deviceid xxx) in fixes/29 in order to
insure one stream, one recorder.  With later updates in master,
MythTV can now provide such a differentiator (--inputid xxx)).

FWIW, I am not sure why one not get an an appropriate XON,
although some time ago I do recall seeing some external recorder
timeouts I did not think they were XON/XOFF related, but most
importantly there have been updates in that code area in later
fixes/29, so rather than trying to debug something in backlevel
code that may already be fixed, I would first update to 29.1-53
(or later).  And I would also recommend updating your external
recorder to support the APIVersion 2 when offered (and the later
V29.1 fixes will do so), in which John has added sequence
validation that can be used to better detect when something
goes sideways (and additional validation is always goodness).
With latest v29 fixes, and using APIVersion 2, I have not yet
seen any timeouts in my recorder.