[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup issues on 18.04

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:55:52 UTC 2018

On 01/11/2018 15:45, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> Besides the issue of mythv install not adding $USER to group 'mythtv'
> automatically, I'm finding that after you complete setup it will not
> properly start mythbackend or do mythfilldatabase if chosen. I had to
> exit mythtv-setup without starting the backend or mythfilldatabase.
> Then reboot, then manually run mythfilldatabase prior to mythfrontend
> working.
>
> Not sure this issue, but my instructions will include this exit and
> reboot.
>
> Jim A

The issue of mythtv-backend not starting after using mythtv-setup for
the first time (or after continuous mythbackend failure) is that systemd
has marked mythtv-backend as "failed" (usually after trying to start it
a number of times).

In such cases a reboot should resolve, assuming mythtv-backend does
start properly.

Another way, no reboot required, is to do "sudo systemctl daemon-reload"
followed by "sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend"

Mike