[mythtv-users] Delete and Allow Rerecord Issue

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 10 14:03:32 UTC 2018

On 05/09/2018 03:26 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> I'm using v0.28.2-1-g2d49bc1 on mythbuntu, and have noticed an issue
> (bug?) with the delete and allow rerecord feature.
>
> A couple of months ago I started recording a syndicated TV series. The
> station cycles through the season over and over, which is fine. Most
> of the episodes, I recorded, watched and deleted.  Two episodes, I
> recorded , watched, and deleted and allow rerecord. When those
> episodes aired again, MythTV rerecorded them.  I watched them and
> selected delete (no rerecord).  However, every time those two episodes
> air again, MythTV records them again. Perhaps the delete (no rerecord)
> action fails to clear any previously set allow rerecord flag?
>
> Anyone else observe this kind of behavior?

The "allow rerecord" flag you mention is placed on the record specifying
when the episode was recorded--it's not some universal "allow rerecord"
flag as it only affects existing/previous recordings.  Therefore, when
MythTV records the episode again, a new record is created showing it was
recorded.  This record is created such that it is considered for
duplicate detection.  Therefore, there is no way a past "delete and
allow rerecord" could affect a future recording.

Something else must be happening.  Either the episode rerecords because
it being recorded using a rule that disables duplicate detection or
because it's a generic episode (and, therefore, isn't considered for
duplicate detection) or because it's not actually a match for the
recently-deleted-and-not-allow-rerecorded episode (different program ID
or slight changes to matching information) or ...

You can find more information about how duplicate detection works at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching and you might figure out
what's causing it to rerecord.

Mike