[mythtv-users] power management on combined and backend

Scott Bickford bic1ster at gmail.com
Thu May 3 11:43:33 UTC 2018

I have an i7 920 and an MSI X58 motherboard, two drives, 1 TB (mostly OS
and some /storage) and one 2 TB (/storage2), and a GTX 780.  I also have a
HD-PVR.

I am trying to get my power consumption down on my combined backend and
frontend.  I have set power settings in bios and the nvidia control panel
to use on demand. In powertop, I can see that the cpus ghz is lower on all
cores.   In powertop, I noticed nvidia was at 100% so I set /*sys*/bus/*pci*
/*devices*/(insert pci address of nvidia here) to auto from on.  When I
restarted powertop, nvidia was no longer showing "bad".   Under device
stats, pci and usb show 100%.  I believe these also need to be set via
/sys/bus/pci/devices?

I'm not sure what if anything I should change on the hard drives.

Initially I had 100 watts at the wall, with no playback or recording.  When
I am watching tv it goes to about 150 watts. I have not tested since
changing the nvidia /sys/bus/pci/devices.

 I was curious what others do with power management?