[mythtv-users] critique

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 04:49:20 UTC 2018

On 02/05/18 12:54, James Linder wrote:
> Hi
>
> I’m posting this here, not on the dev list, so others can add their opinions.

Some of my thoughts on v29 which I have been using for a while now.

- I have been really pleased with the improvements to the IPTV
functionality and it is something I use heavily. As far as I can tell it
is this functionality (and the external recorder functionality) that is
going to be critically important as online streaming services take off
and I have seen what appears to be an uptick in questions on the mailing
list regarding the various IPTV Encoder options. As an example of what
is possible - I convert all my DVB-T streams into IP streams and
multicast them - so I can now have my main system and a testing system
(and as many others as I want) simultaneously functioning all with a
full complement of functioning tuners.
- Also been great to see the ongoing work on the UI - in particular
mythtv-setup got some love recently and I think it is great that devs
are still thinking about this because the setup screens are the first
taste of MythTV that new users experience and a bad experience can turn
people away.
- Also great to see the continued work on the Services API. I know that
there has been a lot of discussion at times comparing MythFrontend to
Kodi and I remain (eternally) hopefully that those discussions remain
productive for both (all) camps. A strong Services API will hopefully
help that.
- And I suspect I speak for a few on the list when I say it was much
appreciated that the dev's turned a hand to getting MythTV
(MythFrontend) to work well on the Raspberry Pi. The RPi always drew a
bit of attention because of its form factor, fanless and low power
consumption and I am sure a number of people have since jumped on that
platform.

Just my 2cents.