[mythtv-users] critique

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 04:27:00 UTC 2018

On 02/05/18 12:54, James Linder wrote:
> Hi
>
> I’m posting this here, not on the dev list, so others can add their opinions.
> Some of my expression is extreem. I do not dis the hard work that many have contributed, mearly to express my own frustration.
> I offer the critique so that the devs involved may reflect ‘you have a point there judge’ (Kingston Trio) (which rather dates me)
>
> I installed 29 which I compiled.
> All good.
> The MythWeb bit is aweful. (Seemingly) in a effort to effort to prove how clever they are the developers have deffered to the mobile phone set, with glitz and glare rather than making a quick usable presentation. It takes twice as long to scan your recording setup as the original mythweb.
> I tried to get rid of the admin login, its password or to set a trivial password. All were greeted with the YELLOW warning line. I don’t need some snotty nosed dev telling me when I do or don’t need a password!
>
> If I get time I’ll spelunk the code and fix my complaints, else I’ll revert to 28. It may be a chance (to learn) to use git to do a fork. keeping the benefits of everyone's hardwork.
>
> Cheers
> James

Just so I am clear and haven't misunderstood your message - your
critique of MythTV v29 is that the work-in-progress WebFrontend (added
in v0.28) is so awful that you are going to revert back to v0.28 (which
still includes the WebFrontend) or fork instead of just using MythWeb
which still works perfectly fine with v29 and current master? The devs
are "snotty nosed" because they put a password on the web admin
functions? And there was otherwise nothing else worth mentioning with
any of the myriad of other changes to MythTV between v0.28 and v29?