[mythtv-users] Any cord-cutters using MythTV?

Jim lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:10:40 UTC 2018

On 6/12/2018 6:43 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I've been using MythTV to record cable content for years, but I'd
> really like to stop sending the provider a giant check every month.
>
> I know there is capability to record HTTP streams, but I'm wondering
> if it's feasible to use MythTV to record from any of streaming
> services like Hulu, Sling, DirecTV Now, etc.
>
> Steve

I cut the cable cord many years ago and setup a Mythtv box. We recorded
OTA exclusively for several years in addition to Amazon Prime and
Netflix. Though I do not try to record from those streaming services. I
see them as just another library of stuff to pick from, similar to Myth.
A couple of years back we added Dish's flex pack to get HGTV and a few
other good (at least we consider them to be) channels. At $35 a month it
seemed a good deal and far less than cable. Those we record via an HDPVR
to Myth.

For my family's viewing habits I can't see the need to record any
streaming shows. We just stream them when we want to watch.

Jim