[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Jan 7 15:00:54 UTC 2018

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Memory serves that I've come across XQuartz before, but it's not on the
> Macbook now.  …

The mac OS does not come with an X11 windowing environment out of the box.  For more info, see:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201341

Two ways to install it are:

https://www.xquartz.org

Offers a standalone, standard Mac .dmg installer.  However, other than building your own, there is not a lot of X11 apps to run _in_ that environment.  So…

https://www.macports.org/install.php

Jumps through some hoops to install XCode and MacPorts, then run

sudo port install xorg-server

This installs the same code as the standalone .dmg installer.  But, then you may be able to find some of your favourite X11-based packages to install:

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=category&substr=x11

MacPorts provides several thousand other open source packages; not just X11 stuff.

Craig
(I maintain a few packages for MacPorts, including Myth.)