[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sun Jan 7 11:49:39 UTC 2018

On 01/06/2018 07:34 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>

>> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>>
>> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC.  Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>>
>> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done.  I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
> Mac’s are unix machines that run the same ssh as linux machines (and x11 does work, I use it daily, I thought that I got XQuartz from my highsierra install, macports folk say no, so must be from macports, but you need XQuartz (and macports offers all manor of goodies) (so why mac: apple make very nice hardware so they can seamlessly drain all your money and macosx works very nicely on their hardware eg bluetooth pre-boot eg trackpad with pust-to-click, they power-save by sleeping the processor which runs much cooler than throttling the processor (same hardware), thay’ve got shitty speaker which they audio-process to sound good on linux the true quality shines through etc etc)
>
> I’ve never played in the windoze domain but putty is mentioned often.
>
> James

Memory serves that I've come across XQuartz before, but it's not on the
Macbook now.  Since I only run mythtv-setup rarely, I'll just run my
wife off her ubuntu desktop and setup the backend from their.

I also have a VirtualBox VM of Ubuntu on my MBP and I can use that Linux
to ssh -X into the mythtv backend.

Thanks,

Jim A