[mythtv-users] Next Gen TV technology will be a cord-cutter’s dream

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:30:53 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> ATSC 3.0 brings subscription and pay-per-view support, conditional access,
> and DRM and can require Internet connectivity.

All are optional, but agreed to be highly likely for at least some content.
The broadcasters claimed that including the support was necessary
such that as more content moves to a subscription model (Netflix, Hulu,
HBO, CBS All Access, ...) they have a method to carry such content.

Fox has been one of the most vocal national networks in saying that they
see their content as having value, and expect to be compensated for it,
and as advertisers change their purchasing habits they want options
for compensation.  Remember that the TiVo and MythTV users that
want to skip commercials are impacting advertisers willingness to pay
for 30 second spot (so, it is all *our* fault).  Only "event" programming
(sports, breaking news) tends to be watched lived.

What stays free (by not skipping ads?), and what goes subscription,
will be interesting in the long run.

Of course, the stations themselves have a (current) regulatory requirement
to serve the community.  However, that could likely be offered via some sort
of a 24/7 news/public affairs/children's shows low bitrate sub-channel (and
regulations can change).

> I've heard that although ATSC 2.0 was pretty much ignored because it didn't
> bring substantial enough benefits over ATSC 1.0, ATSC 3.0 will be adopted.

It will be, and is being adopted.  LG is the first manufacturer of TVs (they
did a lot of the tech development, so had a head start on the tuner chips
(AFAIK they have the only shipping silicon at the moment)), and made a
big splash in S. Korea with the Olympics with 4K ATSC 3.0 in addition
to the demos at CES and a few other stations in the US.

It should also be noted that (with the usual variances expected in
edge cases(*)), a station must continue to broadcast OTA in ATSC 1.0
for some period of time.  As the FCC does not have any frequencies
to loan for a transition, there will be some interesting interim sharing
of broadcast facilities to make the transition possible (first you have to
get two (or more) possibly highly competitive stations to share an
existing ATSC 1.0 channel (which means lower bitrate for all), offer
up the new and improved ATSC 3.0 channel on the other facility,
and run that way for quite some time).  As far as schedules, the FCC
repack is the priority for many broadcasters (there be deadlines!),
but as part of their adjustments/rework are making sure the transmitter
equipment is compliant/upgradeable to ATSC 3.0.

There are already a handful of technology demo broadcasters
around the country (but no one can purchase a set even if they
did want to see 4K ice fishing).

> I haven't heard a lot of talk about precisely who will benefit most from
> ATSC 3.0--the viewers or the broadcasters--but I have my guess. :)

Well, initially, those that demand that their channel broadcast in 4K
might be winners (although only the best funded stations are going
to be able to swap in yet another entire set of studio equipment).

But yes, this is about maintaining the viability of OTA broadcasting,
and that means money is going to have to flow from the viewers
pockets to the content producers pockets.

I do expect the transition to be rather slow, especially at the
beginning, due to the logistics of the process, but it should
start to become clear where things are heading so that the
crystal ball becomes less cloudy.

btw, for MythTV users, you will need to purchase entirely new
tuners (when they are available).  Early versions will probably
have the first adopter pricing premium, and of course the standard
challenges of drivers (depending on the choices made by the
manufacturer).  AFAIK none of the usual suspects has yet
announced any such tuner card availability (and likely will have
to wait for the MaxLinears and such of the world to announce
their tuner/demod chips).

(*) There are already (in various phases of development)
ATSC 3.0 tuner/gateway/translator boxes that will take
ATSC 3.0 in and output (for example) HDMI.  Sort of like
the US digital transition boxes (ATSC 1.0 in, NTSC analogue
out).  While it seems unlikely that the US will subsidize those
boxes for all that want them like what happened with the
digital transition $40 boxes (the boxes are currently rather
expensive, but that is the way for new tech), things might
change over time, allowing the transition to move more
rapidly.