[mythtv-users] Correct setup?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Feb 21 09:36:53 UTC 2018

On 20/02/18 21:46, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:54:18PM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:

>>> Good. I'm glad it's working now.  But it seems the real problem was a
>>> firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device.  I suppose that is
>>> suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.
>>>
>>> I hope you enjoy the extra pixels.  I don't use them very often.  :-)
>>
>> Yes, maybe it was a firmware/driver issue but it has worked with HD
>> before with the old firmware/driver.
>>
>> I've got used to HD so I prefer not to go back to SD.
>
> Unfortunately I have to pick up this thread again since I never fully
> got it working.
>
> The problems that still remains are:
> - Even though I have 2 different capture cards (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
>    500 and pctv tripleStick 292e) with a total of 3 adapters it doesn't
>    record simultaneous recordings. It always reschedule shows to record
>    one at a time. I have set the maximum number of simultaneous recordings
>    to 2 for each device.
>
> - I still have trouble finding the HD channels and a few times I
>    succeded but I then failed to get a lock on any HD channel.
>
> And here are some questions:
> - Can/should I remove the entries in the dtv_multiplex table and where/how
>    is that done from within mythtv-setup?
>
> - Will the dtv_multiplex table be updated on next full channel scan?
>
> - Should I do a full channel scan for each /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontendY
>    (in total 6) or is it sufficient to a full channel scan for each video
>    source?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

I can't give good answers to your specific questions (although I think
one scan per physical device should be enough), but here's a thought:

Since you have a mix of devices I wonder if they are being properly
associated on reboot with the right adapter numbers.  This topic was
much discussed a few years ago and has just revisited me.

Mostly now it can be solved by an 'options xxxx adapter_nr=X' line in
/etc/modprobe.d/dvb.conf, but when I looked at 'modinfo em88xx', where
that is the driver shown in my dmesg, I didn't see adapter_nr support;
it turned out that I needed em88xx_dvb.  Look at 'lsmod'

John