[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 15:28:51 UTC 2018

On 12/27/18 8:34 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
> Hello all
> Looking to get directions on what/how regarding building a frontend
> that is capable of playing UHD 4K movies please.
>
> I have a Ubuntu backend on a VM working great with my Zotac ION CentOS
> frontend. However, it does NOT play TrueHD, DTS-HD and def not any
> UHD/4K movies.
>
> So I thought maybe invest a bit and build out a frontend that is
> capable of playing 7.1 lossless audio as well as 4K movies.
>
> Any suggestions please? I saw a few posts about Amazon Firestick 4K
> but someone said it does not play 4K so that burst the bubble...
>
> Thank you! Happy Holidays!
>

> Ash

The following applies to current master / planned V30.

You can play 4K content with some limitations. I hope to get those
sorted out.

VDPAU will not play 4K.

You can use software decode plus OpenGL (one of the OpenGL profiles) if
you have a powerful enough processor, and set the number of CPUs
appropriately. This works best on Intel integrated graphics.

You can also use VAAPI or VAAPI2 profiles to play 4K (requires Intel
integrated graphics).

Playing 30 fps 4K works fine. With VAAPI 60fps works fine. With VAAPI2
or OpenGL, some frames are dropped when playing 60fps 4K.

10bit or 12bit color unfortunately gets downgraded to 8bit.

These problems I hope to fix. I plan to fix VAAPI2 so that is can play
60fps 4K. VDPAU will not play 4K but I will be adding NVDEC support for
NVidia devices.

The extra audio formats will likely be decoded in software. I don't have
any samples and I don't know if they work.

Peter