[mythtv-users] new drive, same problem

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 13:13:04 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:27 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 23:23:03 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> >wrote:

> swapping

> >> What I did last night is most likely a one-off. Earlier I had my power
> >> supply powering my HDHR and cable box. When that proved unreliable, I
> >> marrette'd the power wires back to a connector, which was also
> unreliable,
> >> so un-used and almost forgotten. Last night I took the connector off and
> >> dead-ended the four wires, hearing only one more pop afterwards, and
> that
> >> pop may have been re-connection of storage2. I will claim victory after
> >> hear no pops tonight.
> >>

> >The bad news is: I was wrong, the storage2 dropped out, so I powered down
> >and switched power and sata cables with storage3 (previous test was with
> >storage1) The good news is: since storage3 dropped out this time it is
> >almost certain that the mobo is at fault. The bad news is the mobo I
> >ordered is, apparently adrift in the Pacific somewhere. The good news is:
> >its Christmas time and friends and family aplenty will replace my need for
> >reliable Mythtv, for now, as I wait. Many thanks to everyone on this list,
> >and I wish you all a splendid season of Joy and Good Cheer!  Daryl
>
> Ouch!  I hate motherboard faults - they are often hard to pin down. At
> least you seem to be getting somewhere now with diagnosing this one.
> If it is a mobo problem, then it will likely only affect one or a pair
> of SATA ports, so the mobo may well be usable still if you add a PCIe
> SATA card to replace the bad ports (presuming you have room to do
> that).  It pays to put some tape over known bad ports, so you do not
> accidentally use them again.

I switched sata ports of the Blueray drive with the storage2 drive, so
storage2 is now into the PCI sata expansion card(Silicon Image, Inc. SiI
3114 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)), of interest,
storage2 became /dev/sda1 and mobo sata1 port with Kingston OS drive became
/dev/sdb1 (previously /dev/sda1). Also of interest, after switching cables
the box booted once but I had to use boot-repair for a reboot. As I started
this e-mail I heard the pop twice as storage2 dismounted and remounted, no
power cables wire switched this time.

Would this PCI card: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3114 [SATALink/SATARaid]
Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) create an unwanted bottleneck if I were to
plug all of my drives into it's four ports?