[mythtv-users] Nvidia chipset

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Dec 22 02:13:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 13:10:27 -0500, you wrote:

>On 12/20/2018 7:33 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>> What is your motherboard?  There are known bugs in the device drivers
>> for old Nvidia motherboards that make some drives do bad things - I
>> have an old Nvidia board where my Samsung 1 Tbyte drive will not work
>> - I have to run if from a PCIe SATA port.  I bisected the kernel and
>> reported the changes that caused this, but to date it has not been
>> fixed.
>
>Hi Stephen,
>
>What Nvidia chipset did you have a problem with? My sister's myth box
>has an Asus M3n78-pro mobo with a GeForce 8300 chipset. It has been
>supporting 3 3TB sata III drives for a few years and I'm planning on
>swapping one out for a 6TB sata III drive for Christmas. I'm hoping
>since the mobo hasn't had any problems with the 3 drives, I won't hit
>the driver bug you did. If it's the same chipset, maybe the bug is
>limited to SSDs?
>
>TIA,
>Helen

My old motherboard is:

Asus M2NPV-VM
Northbridge: Nvidia GeForce 6150 GPU
Southbridge: Nvidia nForce 430 MCP

According to the kernel developer who was looking at my bug report,
all the old Nvidia motherboard chipsets are buggy and the kernel has
workarounds for a number of problems.  In my case, using my old
Samsung HD103UJ 1 Tbyte drive on a motherboard SATA port gave me
strange problems.  When I moved it to a PCIe SATA card with a Marvell
88SE9123 chip, it worked fine.  But it only stopped working after a
kernel update - I think it was to the first 4.0 kernels, but it is a
while ago and I can not be sure from memory.  I bisected all the
changes in the kernel and found the one patch that was the cause, but
it was a complicated patch affecting a number of bits of the disk
driver code, so I never worked out what bit of it was causing the
problem.  I reported this on my kernel bug report, but I have never
heard anything further about it - last time I checked the bug was
still open.

It was only my one Samsung drive that was affected - I have used WD
green drives from the motherboard and they all work fine.  But the
motherboard SATA ports are only 3 Gbit/s ports, so when I put a SATA
SSD on that PC, I put it on the PCIe card as well, as that is 6
Gbit/s.  And since then, I have retired that motherboard and that PC
is now on an Asus P5K-E motherboard.