[mythtv-users] new drive won't boot

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:12:23 UTC 2018

On Dec 19, 2018 7:31 AM, "jam at tigger.ws" <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2018, at 4:57 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> Greetings Mythizens, I received my replacement drive from Amazon used
> "rsync" to copy the files from my revived (previously "about to fail")
> drive, swap the two drives and the box doesn't boot. Unswitch and it boots
> fine... unmount storage2, and switch drives and the FE finds storage2
> recordings (on the "rsync'd" drive) then a reboot fails. "fstab" is lookng
> to mount storage1,2&3, storage directories are back to original form, all
> default group, granted it doesn't take much, but I'm stumped! What do I
> need to do to make this drive acceptable to my box? the first of this type
> of drive worked fine, the odds of getting lemons back to back I woud
> imagine to be quite high...Please help, TIA Daryl

Since this is so far OT we may as well have a smile:
This guy says “I prayed for a bicycle, but nothing happened”. “ then I
realized it does not work like this, so I stole a bike and prayed for
forgiveness”.
So it is with rsync. (It does not work like. this)
One *can* fiddle with grub and /etc/fstab, but it will probably take long
and be painfull. (eg do you have an EFI bios)

your easiest option is

1) boot the bad disk
2) run mythconverg_backup.pl If you’ve not used it before 5 min reading is
needed. Save the backup.
3) install the new disk
4) install the os, or a newer version if  you want to.
5) install mythtv, mariadb, apache2 and php if you want mythweb
6) mount the old disk and copy all the. files you want, specially art and
ts files from myth-place-you-choose
7) run mythconverg_restore.pl
8) if you do not have same hostname and IP addr then more reading is needed.

James

Except my goal is to have the SSD with my OS as the boot drive and the
three terabyte drives as storage drives, so painful or time consuming as it
may be this time future disk swaps will be better.