[mythtv-users] new drive won't boot

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Wed Dec 19 12:29:53 UTC 2018

> On 19 Dec 2018, at 4:57 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> Greetings Mythizens, I received my replacement drive from Amazon used
> "rsync" to copy the files from my revived (previously "about to fail")
> drive, swap the two drives and the box doesn't boot. Unswitch and it boots
> fine... unmount storage2, and switch drives and the FE finds storage2
> recordings (on the "rsync'd" drive) then a reboot fails. "fstab" is lookng
> to mount storage1,2&3, storage directories are back to original form, all
> default group, granted it doesn't take much, but I'm stumped! What do I
> need to do to make this drive acceptable to my box? the first of this type
> of drive worked fine, the odds of getting lemons back to back I woud
> imagine to be quite high...Please help, TIA Daryl

Since this is so far OT we may as well have a smile:
This guy says “I prayed for a bicycle, but nothing happened”. “ then I realized it does not work like this, so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness”.
So it is with rsync. (It does not work like. this)
One *can* fiddle with grub and /etc/fstab, but it will probably take long and be painfull. (eg do you have an EFI bios)

your easiest option is

1) boot the bad disk
2) run mythconverg_backup.pl If you’ve not used it before 5 min reading is needed. Save the backup.
3) install the new disk
4) install the os, or a newer version if  you want to.
5) install mythtv, mariadb, apache2 and php if you want mythweb
6) mount the old disk and copy all the. files you want, specially art and ts files from myth-place-you-choose
7) run mythconverg_restore.pl
8) if you do not have same hostname and IP addr then more reading is needed.

James