[mythtv-users] Duplicate detection

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 17 12:12:18 UTC 2018

On 12/16/2018 11:00 PM, Mike Holden wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 14:37, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I'm trying to understand why my duplicate detection isn't working
>     like I think it should.  I record much of my stuff by power search
>     including the example in this email, "Modern Family".  I have
>     "Duplicate Check method" set to subtitle and description, and
>     "Check for duplicates in" set to "All recordings".  As I
>     understand it, that should mean that I don't ever record any
>     Modern Family shows a second time.   Using those settings I have
>     three instances of the same show in oldrecorded, and it's due to
>     record another instance soon.  It seems like the oldrecorded table
>     isn't being consulted at all when considering which shows to
>     record.  It does seem to be working for shows that are still in
>     the recorded table.
>
>     MariaDB [mythconverg]> select
>     title,subtitle,episode,seriesid,programid,duplicate from
>     oldrecorded where subtitle like '%parade' order by title,subtitle;
>     +---------------+-----------------+---------+------------+----------------+-----------+
>     | title         | subtitle        | episode | seriesid   |
>     programid      | duplicate |
>     +---------------+-----------------+---------+------------+----------------+-----------+
>     | Modern Family | I Love a Parade |       0 | EP01158124 |
>     EP011581240251 |         0 |
>     | Modern Family | I Love a Parade |       0 | EP01158124 |
>     EP011581240251 |         0 |
>     | Modern Family | I Love a Parade |       0 | EP01158124 |
>     EP011581240251 |         0 |
>     +---------------+-----------------+---------+------------+----------------+-----------+
>     3 rows in set (0.01 sec)
>

>     Why isn't it matching against the oldrecorded table?  Any way to
>     get it to?

Every single one of those episodes is set to be ignored for duplicate
matching.  In other words, they were deleted with "Delete and allow to
re-record" or deleted by auto-expiration and either not marked as
watched or were marked as watched and you've set:

Re-record watched
If enabled, programs that have been marked as watched and are
Auto-Expired will be re-recorded if they are shown again.

> Try changing it to "subtitle THEN description"
>
> If the subtitle is the same, but the description changes, your current
> rule will record it again.

Because these episodes all have program IDs, the subtitle and
description are not used for duplicate matching.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching

Mike