[mythtv-users] Mythtv + RPI 3

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 18:37:11 UTC 2018

On 12/12/18 1:26 PM, Andrew (AFPup) Stadt wrote:
> Had a left over RPI 3 B+, from another project, and having added a new
> TV to my household, decided to try and use it ( the RPI) as a new
> frontend.
>
> Got it working for the most part, but having a few issues yet.
>
> With mythfrontend, the program guide is not showing correctly, only
> the top left couple cells will populate.  The data is obviously there,
> as I can move around the grid and details will pop up correctly, but
> most of the grid is blank.
>
> With Kodi, it takes almost 5 minutes for all the guide data to load
> once you start Kodi... I guess I could leave it on 24/7 but would
> rather not.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers to look at?  My google-fu seems to be
> failing me as of late.

I've been playing with a couple of RP3 B+ systems. My wife's is running
LibreELEC 8.25 without issues and without rebooting for months. She's
real picky when things don't work. So they must be working because she
doesn't complain.

I've been using the other RP3 B+ with several setups. The most reliable
and best operation is LibreELEC 8.90.009, which is Alpha, but reasonable
stable with only the PVR-mythtv installed. The picture is much better
than my old 3rd gen Core i3 NUC running Xubuntu 18.04 and either Kodi or
Mythtv-frontend.

I find that if I boot the RP3 into LibreELEC it loads the guide data
usually faster than I can see it count the percentage complete. Less
than a second for sure.

I've tested Raspbian lite with XFCE and Mythtv-frontend and it's works
okay, but the video is a little jerky. Some might not have an issue, but
once I've seen the artifacts, I look for them. Motion and panning cause
some jerkiness.

Jim A