[mythtv-users] MythTV mysql database is MUCH slower after upgrading from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Stephen Baker stephen at wildwood.baker.org
Sat Dec 8 20:09:23 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-12-07 at 23:18 -0500, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 12/7/18 11:03 PM, Mike Hodson wrote:
> Beyond this, you might need to possibly reindex or verify that you have
> proper indexes.
>

> Well this is interesting.  On a whim, I manually ran
> /etc/cron.weekly/optimize_mythdb and sure enough, it's back to the
> original speed again!
>
> I wonder if somehow the database files were left in a non-optimal state
> after the upgrade (which I believe happened recently enough that the
> above hadn't executed automatically yet)
>

> Thanks
> -WD

I share mythtv backend with a number of altcoin nodes. The nodes can be
rather heavy on I/O, but don't share the spindles with the image store
or the sql store. What I have noticed with Fedora is that the disk
scheduler does no favors to server performance. I have switched the
disk scheduler from cfq to deadline which greatly improved overall
performance.

Steve