[mythtv-users] mythhdhrrecorder setup

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 17:05:10 UTC 2018

On 12/8/18 11:10 AM, Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) wrote:

>> On Dec 8, 2018, at 9:37 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/6/18 12:51 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:jppoet at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM James Abernathy
>>>     <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:

>> Okay so I've made some progress here but have some questions.  I
>> assumed these instructions were out of date and referred to Gary's
>> PDF "Use of the HDHR Premium TV service with MythTV".
>>
>> I don't have the Premium service but thought I'd follow the
>> instructions exactly to better learn some things about
>> mythhdhrrecorder and external recorders. So using a Virtualbox ubuntu
>> 18.04 system I build up mythtv 29.1 as normal, but followed the PDF
>> to setup the tuners.  I got it working except for the premium
>> channels as expected.
>>
> If you will only be using OTA on the external recorder, you will not
> be able to use the virtual tuners. Ie record 10.1, and 10.2, 10.3 at
> the same time on one tuner. It will require 3 separate physical tuners
> for the above. I configure my HDHRs with 4 virtual tuners.
 From my understanding the virtual tuners and multiplexed sub channels
are 2 different things. I've setup each tuner as capable of 1 channel
max for recording. so with my Quatro and Duo I have a total of 6
channels max.

> I do understand the exercise as an experiment however, but wouldn’t be
> good for production.
>
>> So what I think I have right is:
>>
>> 1. mythhdhrrecorder switches to tcp and virtual channels so
>> mythtv-setup can't be used to scan the channels.
>>
>> 2. if I follow the PDF instructions but don't include the HDHR
>> Premium lineup, but include my zipcode lineup, it will work for
>> normal OTA ATSC channels.
>>
>> Currently I'm using Record priorities to set a Custom Priority Rule
>> to make sure my HDHR Connect is used for a local channel I'm having
>> problems with.  I can't let it record with the HDHR Quatro. I'm also
>> able to set LiveTV priorities to keep the Connect higher priority
>> than the Quatro.
>>

> One thing I did since I have a couple of hdhr4-2us tuners is I
> assigned both tuners of one of the hdhr4s to the external recorder for
> each tuner to SD Premium. The 2 tuners of the other hdhr4 are assigned
> normally to OTA as hd homerun tuners within the setup.
>>
>> I'm looking for ways to do this with the mythhdhrrecorder method.
>> I'm thinking I could create external recorders with the --hdhr <id>
>> options so I could call them out in my custom priority rules??

When I setup the input connections to each External recorder I
classified them as Quatro0-1 and Duo 0-1.  That way I think to can setup
the customer record priorities to make sure Channel 11-1 is only
recorded on the Duo just as I am now with standard HDHR tuner setup.