[mythtv-users] mythhdhrrecorder setup

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:40:20 UTC 2018

On 12/6/18 12:51 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com
> <mailto:jppoet at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM James Abernathy
>     <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         On 12/6/18 12:21 PM, glen wrote:
>>         On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 11:53 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
>>>         I’ve giving this a test.  On the wiki it states in part:
>>>

>>>               Example usage in MythTV
>>>
>>>           * In mythtv-setup, select "Capture cards"
>>>           * Select "New capture card"
>>>           * Select "External (black box) recorder" as the card type
>>>           * Specify the executable and (usually) append an arbritary
>>>             unique device name, for example:
>>>             /home/mythtv/bin/mythhdhrrecorder --devicename 0
>>>           * Specify the Max Recordings as 1
>>>           * Select "Finish" to create the capture card
>>>           * Repeat as needed for the number of tuners you want
>>>             MythTV to utilize
>>>           * Perform video source setup as usual
>>>           * For each tuner, go to input connections and add the
>>>             video source, and select "Fetch Channels" if the video
>>>             source is newly created to populate the channel data
>>>             (this does not work with ATSC video sources due to the
>>>             major/minor numbering, but workarounds exist)
>>>

>>>         I can’t find the setting for Max Recordings.  I’m using the
>>>         latest 29.1 Mythtv backend and I got this mythhdhrrecorder
>>>         script from the github link in the wiki.
>>>
>>>         Has that been changed to force it to 1 and no need to have
>>>         an option???
>>>
>>>         Jim A

>>>         MythTV Forums:
>>>         https://forum.mythtv.org
>>         I used input connections, select tuner, then under interactions between tuners, set maximum recordings. i don't know
>>         if it is right thing, but i have no problems using 4 tuner quattro with the hdhrrecorder external
>
>         I kind of assume Interactions was the place.  I can't seem to
>         get it configure though.  My setup is OTA ATSC USA only.  I
>         have the XMLTV setup just like my productions system, but
>         here's part of the log I see from mythtv-setup
>
>         Dec  6 12:21:11 ubuntu-test mythtv-setup.real:
>         mythtv-setup[8945]: I ScreenLoad cardutil.cpp:2188
>         (GetHDHRdesc) CardUtil::GetHDHRdescription(1074C841) - trying
>         to locate device
>         Dec  6 12:21:11 ubuntu-test mythtv-setup.real:
>         mythtv-setup[8945]: I ScreenLoad cardutil.cpp:2188
>         (GetHDHRdesc) CardUtil::GetHDHRdescription(1043ECAB) - trying
>         to locate device
>         Dec  6 12:21:11 ubuntu-test mythtv-setup.real:
>         mythtv-setup[8945]: I ScreenLoad cardutil.cpp:2188
>         (GetHDHRdesc) CardUtil::GetHDHRdescription(1043ECAB) - trying
>         to locate device
>         Dec  6 12:21:12 ubuntu-test mythtv-setup.real:
>         mythtv-setup[8945]: I ScreenLoad recorders/vboxutils.cpp:106
>         (doUPNPSearch) VBox: GetDeviceDesc() failed for <Unknown>
>         Dec  6 12:21:12 ubuntu-test mythtv-setup.real:
>         mythtv-setup[8945]: I ScreenLoad recorders/vboxutils.cpp:49
>         (probeDevices) VBox: Using UPNP to search for Vboxes (3 secs)
> [...]
I tried one more thing, but no success. I first setup success fully 2
HDHR tuners normally and XMLTV json lite and got the EPG and tuners
working. Then I deleted all tuners and added 2 external recorder tuners
using the mythhdhrrecorder script.  Because the EPG had been setup
before I could at least get the backend to think it was setup okay so I
could exit. But when I was running, I could not tune to a Live TV channel.