[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power supply (wall wart) gone bad

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Mon Dec 3 04:04:31 UTC 2018

On 12/1/18 8:33 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> Don't use the +12 line.  It will likely destroy the unit. I am very
> surprised that the internal +5 supply in a PC ran out of current.  I
> could understand that if you got the +5 from a USB cable but not from
> one of the molex cables.  Maybe the wire is too small or you actually
> hooked up something wrong.  Get a voltmeter and check what is on the
> wires when you are recording.
>
> Allen
>
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 5:27 AM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com
> <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     More than doubling the voltage is never a good idea, my guess would
>     be not enough amperage, I couldn't get reliable operation from
>     internal power supply to a HDHR so I now keep a supply of
>     replacement walwarts on hand.

Here's a photo of the cable:

https://pasteboard.co/HPXIYlf.jpg

The Molex connector was taken from a Molex-to-floppy drive adapter
cable. The cable diameters seemed similar in size as the Hauppauge
cable. I did use the full cable length from the wall wart.

I am going to experiment with using another supply line on the power
supply. The power supply is only a 500W, hopefully that is not an issue.

Thanks for the feedback/thoughts.

Bob