[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power supply (wall wart) gone bad

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Sat Dec 1 01:55:54 UTC 2018

On 11/8/18 2:14 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 11/8/18 10:39 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
>> I, and others, have
>> successfully replaced these wall warts with a cable that connects
>> directly to the PC's 5v power supply. I essentially took the Molex
>> connector from a dead case fan, moved the "+" pin from the 12v position
>> to 5v, chopped off the bad wall wart's cable, and wired it to the pins
>> on the Molex connector. Remember: Polarity is crucial!
>

> +1 on this strategy.  I've been running my HD-PVR off of my MythTV box's
> DVR for a few years with zero trouble.   I just run the wire out of the
> back of the MythTV box (via an expansion slot cover that has a hole in
> it) and to the HD-PVR.
>
> Aside from being more reliable, one fewer wall wart is a neater setup!

So, I made my attempt at a cable to replace my wall wart and my
recordings are not working so good. After re-reading this, it appears I
should *not* have used the 5V line even though the wall warts I have
show 5V @ 2A, right?

Interestingly, the HD-PVR does power-on and is assigned a device
(/dev/video5 in this case). However, I attempted a 4 minute recording
and actually recorded for about 1 second. The "blue" light turned off
every 4 seconds, then back-on again.

So, use the +12V line and not the +5V line?