[mythtv-users] deleted recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 28 09:20:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 12:22:20 +0800, you wrote:

>> On 28 Aug 2018, at 8:35 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>>> Today I transcoded 2 movies to mpg and deleted them.
>>> Too late I realized my samsung tv, on uPnP, chokes on mpg container (and ts), but happily accepts mp4 (and does play those ?unrecognised format? mpg (and ts) from USB. But I digress ?
>>>
>>> I looked at deleted which had todays news and a host of OLD recordings but not my two new deletions.
>>>
>>> Any body have some insight into how this all works (and I understand why, and superficially how)?
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> If you have not changed the settings from the defaults, then anything
>> you delete gets put in a queue to be actually deleted in a short time
>> - I think it is about 15 minutes.  Your old recordings in the deleted
>> queue are probably as a result of an old bug (long since fixed), which
>> failed to actually delete things from the deleted queue.  If you
>> change to viewing the deleted recordings, add all of them to the
>> playlist and then delete the playlist, all those old recordings should
>> be actually deleted, and no more should end up in that state if you
>> are using a MythTV version after the fix was applied.  The actual
>> deletion from the deleted queue can take a while, as it is not done
>> all at once so as not to create too much disk activity that could
>> affect any recordings that are taking place.  But you should see the
>> files being removed from the deleted list over time until they are all
>> gone.
>
>Can you hold mt hand please.
>
>m->Change Group Filter->Delete [41 Items]
>m->Add to Playlist
>(repeat for each file)
>m->Playlist Options->Delete
>
>All Gone
>But One by One they come back until the deleted list is fully restored
>
>So delete the items by hand
>bing they’re back (as expected)
>
>How do I delete the deleted group items?
>fixes/29 [v29.1-15-g280138b]
>
>Thanks
>James

As I said, it takes time for the actual deletion to happen.  So after
a few hours they should be all gone.  I would suggest checking again
tomorrow and only then worrying if they are still there.

And with a playlist, if you leave the cursor in the left hand column
and do (from memory) Menu > Add To Playlist, then all the items on the
right hand column will be added to the playlist at the same time - no
need to add them individually.