[mythtv-users] EIT and HDHomeRun CONNECT

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Fri Sep 8 05:14:37 UTC 2017

Quote/Cytat - Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> (Thu 07 Sep 2017 09:44:58 PM CEST):

>Hoi Janusz,
>
>Thursday, September 7, 2017, 9:26:48 AM, you wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>
>>I understand there is a lot of HDHomeRun users on the list so I hope to
>>get an answer here quicker than on the Silicondust forum:
>
>>Do I understand correctly HDHomeRun does not support EIT?
>
>>Best regards
>
>>Janusz
>
>There might be a little misunderstanding. MythTV can also with a
>HDhomerun extract EIT if available from your provider. However the
>HDhomerun itself and the software provided with it do not provide a
>utility to extract the EIT.
>So it is a question whether your channels provide EIT and whether your
>software of choice is capable of extracting it.

Thanks to all of you for the information.

I'm glad that it's just a misunderstanding because
I've  already purchased HDHomeRun and just received it :-)

I was slightly afraid to touch my working MythTV configuration (some of
you may remember I used to have problems with it) but just a moment ago
I managed to setup it for using HDHomeRun. It seems everything works OK
including EIT, but there was a surprise: one tuner found more channels
than the other one... I guess I can live with it at least for the time
being.

For the potential buyers of HDHomeRun here is the summary of my current
experiences:

As said above, Silicondust software does not use EIT.

As for the software itself:

1. The Windows 10 application works out of the box but it seems that its
installation does not make the device visible by other applications.

2. The application for other versions of Windows application works out
of the box and makes the device visible at least to DVBViewer.

3. DVBViewer works and extracts EIT

4. Android: the free Silicondust application according to Google Play is
not available in my region. I have no motivation neither to investigate
the reason nor to purchase a paid alternative.

5. Android: the free Silicondust application to check the quality of
signal seems to work. I intend to use it as the positioning of my
antenna is definitely not satisfactory.

6. Android: Kodi 17.4 (requires at least Android 5.0) with the official
HDHomeRun works but, as expected, does not use EIT.

5. iOS 10 (iPhone SE): the free Silicondust application simply does not
work. The support claims they know the reason (related somehow to my
region?) and expect to correct it in a week or so.

6, DLNA: my TV (Philips 32PFL5007K) cannot handle HDHomeRun (although
with MythTV there is no problem). Not only it is unable to play, but
does not release the tuner even if the power is switched off. At the
moment I have no motivation to investigate the problem.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bień - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)