[mythtv-users] Motherboard with PCI slots and IPMI

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Oct 25 16:47:18 UTC 2017

On 10/24/2017 09:38 PM, Rajil Saraswat wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a combined FE/BE setup running on an Asus H87-Pro motherboard with an
> Intel i5-4440 cpu. The TV feed is through two Hauppauge PVR-500 cards. The cards
> have been very stable compared to other things i have tried like HD-PVR.
> The motherboard is starting to show early signs of failure (serial port died
> recently) and i would like to replace it. However, I don't want to lose the
> PVR-500 cards. It seems that PCI slots on current generation motherboards is a
> scarcity.
> I am looking for suggestions on a motherboard which has PCI slots and preferably
> has IPMI support.
> Thanks

  Few notes:

- If only the serial port is failing (and that is all you need), you could get a
USB serial adapter.

- Keeping PCI slots is likely a losing long term battle.  You may want to look
at something like the HVR-2250 - I've been using one for a while, no issues.  It
is also a dual tuner card, but PCIE, so should have MB support for quite a
while.  While buying new is expensive, there are a bunch listed on Ebay for
about $40 each buy it now price (which seems to be about the price of the
PCIE->PCI adapters)

- While PCIE to PCI expanders/extenders do exist, I've also heard people having
problems with those, since those often add another PCIE bridge between the MB
and the card.  So that may not be the best route if looking for stability.