[mythtv-users] Plex

Greg gregl at nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 24 21:27:40 UTC 2017

On 10/24/2017 03:40 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM, James <jam at tigger.ws
> <mailto:jam at tigger.ws>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all, opinions please
>
>     My Samsung TV chokes on myth’s uPnP files. I need to transcode (or
>     put my recordings on a thumb-drive !!)
>
>     One of the solutions I’ve been looking at is Plex media server.
>     But I’m naive about this whole area.
>
>     Will some knowlegable please comment.
>     eg I think appleTV’s mythtv app uses mythtv streaming
>     Is the interface ‘nice’?
>     What are the options to receive (and watch) a stream.  eg plex has
>     an appleTV app. eg (australian) ABC has a streaming app on the
>     Samsung so some sort of SDK must exist.
>     I want a stream server. Is myth video a good generic library server?
>     (I do use myth video, but that is my *only* experience of hosting
>     a stream)
>
>     Apple may be akin to shark droppings, but (to seamlessly drain all
>     your money while you smile) they do make very nice hardware (eg
>     bluetooth mouse and keyboard work at the bios screen eg their
>     trakpad is a joy to use (left click, right click, double click,
>     scroll, click-and-drag etc)
>
>     James
>

> I use Plex for watching anything remotely (off my local network).  For
> realtime transcoding per watching device, etc - it is definitely the
> best out there.  I use mythfrontend inside the house, and tinker with
> Kodi inside the house.  Kodi lacks on comm skipping, or I would use it
> full time with low power devices / Android devices.
>
> Plex DVR sucks a$$ though.  The decisions they make for the user makes
> me think they are all ex apple engineers who want to make it so easy
> for the end user, they just figured "no one ever needs more options
> than this"..  etc..  They support a lot of capture cards nowadays, but
> their guide makes me want to go get a monkey from the zoo to throw
> feces at the TV.
>
> I smlink mythtv recordings into my plex directory with readable names
> and plex adds and plays them well though.
>
> Like another user just posted, there is also Emby.  It does not
> transcode nearly as well as Plex (not even close actually).  Plex will
> take a raw bit/s number and make sure that when it transcodes, even
> the places who need higher bit rate to remain smooth will get
> pre-buffered in their client.  The yspent a lot of time on that part
> of their solution and got it right.  No other software out there does
> this - none that I know of.
>
> The only drawback to Plex is if you run it natively on TVs, etc..  You
> are up to the TV manufacturer to update their app.  I have a high end
> Samsung, and once the initial year was over, it no longer receives
> updates.  I can buy a Smart replacement module every year for a couple
> hundred dollars, but I never use the native TV apps after I learned
> they were all dipshits who have no business putting products on an IP
> network.  You would think the smartphone arms of all of these
> [...]
I use Plex in our bedroom's in our house. I use mythlink too rename the
Myth recordings. I created a Mythtv Recordings library in Plex and point
the path to the proper file location's where the symlinks are stored..
Plex will pull down the meta-data and cover-art.. I use a Chromecast,
but you can use a Roku or Amazon Fire tv, or any other streaming box
that Plex has an apt for...
    Mine is strictly wireless and I have never see any buffering or
artifacts..