[mythtv-users] Rpi MiniMyth2 -mythtvLight-Kodi

jksj jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 09:13:18 UTC 2017

Currently using https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light on RP1 3.
Located in the UK so using Freeview/Freesat as source. The Tv supports
720p at 50Hz. SD playback is flawless using Openmax normal but HD can be a
bit juddery when vertically or horizontally panning. So I thought I
would give MiniMyth2 a go, which contains some extra patches.
Comparing the two and apologising for stating the obvious for the
initiated :-
Mythtv Light uses a standard install of Rasbian leading to a graphical
desktop through which the package Mythtvlight can be installed. Any
Ubuntu user would be quite familiar with this and adapt to it easily in
order to configure the Pi.

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2016-January/384686.html
MiniMyth2 is a complete binary image that for me dropped into a terminal
when booted, no further installation required. I think I must have got
something wrong in the install (file permissions suspected)as
mythfrontend should have run. |Login as root password root and after
copying the working pi configuration file config.txt to /boot/config.txt
and a mythfrontend configuration to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml the
frontend ran. Configured Myth to use Openmax for playback and off it
went. Have not yet managed to get sound working in this incarnation.

First impressions are performance is the same in the two installations
so would recommend either based on whether you prefer desktop or command
line.

Note playback using Kodi is perfect so hopefully Mythtv will get there
eventually. I prefer the user interface of Myth so sticking to Mythfrontend.

Thanks for every-bodies effort in getting this low cost platform working.