[mythtv-users] Sudden failure of InfiniTV6 PCIe to tune channels

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:08:23 UTC 2017

On 11/21/2017 07:31 AM, Justin Moore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an InfiniTV 6 (PCIe version) which has worked beautifully with
> my Verizon CableCARD since 2014. However in the last 24 hours I've
> been unable to tune or record anything. I've used the python client
> program, I've called Verizon to re-pair my CableCARD, and I've
> rebooted my computer, all with no success. I've searched Google for
> various error messages and conditions, also with no success.
>
> CableCARD status is "Validated, validation message is received,
> authenticated, and the IDs match those in the current binding". My
> WMDRM status on all the tuners is "red", though. Digging through the
> logs I've started to see a number of "failed to get pat" messages when
> attempting to tune a channel, and I'm wondering if that's related.
> When I pull up a tuner tab on the browser UI, I set a channel using
> the "Channel" text field, and click "Set channel". It tries to switch
> channels, but in the "Program" text box I see "No programs". Yet when
> I click over to the "Status" tab I do see a program number and a
> number of PIDs. I don't know enough to know if the error message is
> related to the tuning failure, but I don't recall having this problem
> before.
>
> Setup:
> Distro: Fedora 25
> Kernel: 4.8.14-300
> Firmware version: 15.1.13.152
> CableCo: Verizon Fios
> MythTV version: 29
>
> If anyone has any ideas on what I should check for next, I'd really
> appreciate it. This really was working just fine for over a year, and
> then just crapped out two nights ago.
>
> Thanks,
> -justin

After tuning a channel as you described above, click on the status tab
and look at the bottom of the page for "Copy Protection:" It should say
"Copy Control Information: "Copy Free" (00)". If it says anything else
you will not be able to record that channel. Every so often I find a
channel has been changed by Comcast to "Copy Once" and that prevents
recording. If that is the case you will have to get the cable provider
(Verizon) to change it back to "Copy Free".

Peter