[mythtv-users] (almost) completely fresh install

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Mon Nov 20 09:18:21 UTC 2017

Hi,
   My combined backend-frontend server has been retired and I am starting work to replace it with a distributed system.

I haven't taken the time to maintain the old (updated to 0.28) system for quite a while now so despite the database being in a consistent state, quite a few settings are either outdated cruft or no longer working (my hd-pvr for example no longer works with mythtv and my channel list is hopelessly out of date).

  Because of this, I have decided to go for a completely fresh install and configure, only saving my recordings from the old database.  I was intending to use mythexport to save my recording metadata, but can't make the cgi scripts work, so rather than spending time trying to figure that out, am thinking of going for a "partial"restore to a new, empty database, using mythconverg_backup.pl and mythconverg_restore.pl
following the instructions at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore.

Both the old and the new systems are running version 0.28

Can anyone think of any reasons for NOT using this approach?

BR.

--Marius--