[mythtv-users] Mythtv with HDHomerun Connect Quatro?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Nov 11 13:16:15 UTC 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:59:16 +0000, you wrote:

>I currently use 0.28 mythtv on mythbuntu 16.04 with a PCIe tuner card
>and a 2 tuner version of HDHomeRun connect.  The PCIe card is an old
>Hauppauge HVR 2200 and not great reception compared with the HDHR Connect.
>
>I saw that SiliconDust now have a HDHR Connect Quatro with 4 tuners and
>users are saying that is have better reception with lower power consumption.
>
>I'm thinking about upgrading so I could use a very small PC and external
>USB3 drive and the Quatro tuner.
>
>Just need to find some small cheaper hardware options for the mythtv
>backend.
>
>Any have any experience with the new Quatro or smaller backend hardware??

You would be going from 4 to 6 tuners, so how many programs would you
need to be recording at once?  One modern hard drive is OK for 3 at
once, but probably not 4.  Certainly not 6 - the heads can not move
back and forth fast enough.  Are your tuners also using multirec?  If
so, then you may be recording many more than 6 programs at once,
unless you control it somehow.  The only way I can see that you could
record from that many tuners with only one USB3 drive is to actually
record to an SSD and then somehow move the recording files to the hard
disk after the recordings have finished.