[mythtv-users] Correct way to use a downloaded XMLTV file?

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 04:28:16 UTC 2017

On 29 March 2017 1:34:41 PM Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There is a listings service for Australians at freepg.tv which
> provides a unique URL per user to download a prepared XMLTV file for
> their region.
>
> What is the correct way to use such a file with MythTV? The naive way
> would be to set up a cron job to download the file and invoke
> mythfilldatabase --file , but I get the impression that might be
> frowned upon compared to configuring a grabber.
>
> Is there a skeleton "download" XMLTV grabber designed for this use case?
>
> Best Regards,
> Chris

There is a 'no grabber' option when setting up a video source in
mythtv-setup I think that would be the way to go. Then associate your
capture card with the video source. Then scan for channels. Then you will
need to populate xmltvid's to map your xmltv file to your myth channels,
presumably see the xmltv file for details. Then a cron job to download the
file and run mythfilldatabase using the file switch and video source switch
should do the trick. Something like:

mythfilldatabase --file --sourceid=1 --xmlfile="/path/to/file.xmltv"
--only-update-guide

The only update guide bit will stop the xmltv file from trying to update
your mythtv channels, you will have to work out whether it is needed or
appropriate.

I saw a reference to freepg.tv recently I think it is using oztivo data as
the source. I have not checked myself so it is just idle speculation, but
personally I have been unhappy with oztivo data in the past so I now avoid
it. YMWV.