[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:42:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Saul <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:00:00 -0600
> Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on]
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on]
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on]

I am trying to search how to change from "Mono" to Surround or something
and see if that changes anything.

However my receiver does show incoming signal as 6 channel so Not sure if
the mono playback channel here is the cause?

> Must be one of these. Digital outputs, HDMI included, are shown as
> S/PDIF.
> Note, if you are using nouveau driver the HDMI sound may not be
> supported, I know I had to use the blob with my Zotac to get HDMI sound.

Searching online - the "lspci -vnn" command showed this for Audio:

00:08.0 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio
[10d
                                       e:0ac0] (rev b1)
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device [174b:437b]
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
        Memory at fae78000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

> And please, show some respect for people who are reading your emails,
> clean them up before hitting the reply button.

Will def keep this in mind hereon. Again - apologies.

http://about.me/adesai