[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:34:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Saul <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:00:00 -0600
> Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on]
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on]
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on]
>
> Must be one of these. Digital outputs, HDMI included, are shown as
> S/PDIF.
> Note, if you are using nouveau driver the HDMI sound may not be
> supported, I know I had to use the blob with my Zotac to get HDMI sound.
>
> And please, show some respect for people who are reading your emails,
> clean them up before hitting the reply button.
>

> --
> Cheers, Saul

Saul
I apologize. I did not know which part was not required so I tried keeping
the info as is. I am here after a long time - so I am a bit naive in the
"etiquette" here.

Not sure which drivers I am using - but here's what I got:

 /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     22905  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek    56796  1
snd_hda_intel          23032  4
snd_hda_codec         101885  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               5026  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                44709  0
snd_seq_device          5124  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                67800  4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              17152  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    51792  16
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               6390  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          6882  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I am trying to see how "amixer" affects this...

Thank you again.

http://about.me/adesai