[mythtv-users] Failing HDHR

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu Jun 22 14:33:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Peter Jacobs <jacobs.pj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I had a similar issue.  Check the temperature of your HDHR, the
> enclosure of mine was very hot, and when opened up both tuner chips and the
> other (processor?) big chip were extremely hot to the touch, and the
> surrounding circuit board was toasty brown.

FWIW:  silicon tuners found in devices like the HDHR even in normal
operation tend to be "burn your fingers" hot to the touch.  This is
not necessarily an indicator of a problem.

I'm not saying it's not possible there has been some sort of
thermal-related failure; just that saying "the tuner chips were very
hot" does not necessarily mean there is a problem.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com